Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Watching the Unschooling Pieces Crumble - Part 10 of Dealings With a Guru

The blog that should not even need to happen….

I had placed my blog on the backburner so that I could release the hold that my experience had on me and allow others to move in to the forefront to reflect on their own dealings with the Martins. It did not take long before I was invited to a group on facebook that would serve as a database of collected facts and personal experiences regarding Dayna and her multiple business ventures. This clearinghouse page is a temporary tool that will be used to create a final document of facts to showcase Dayna and her dealings with the public. This group is not a free-for-all as only individuals with solid data have the ability to add factual information that is being followed-up on and researched. The truths being uncovered are immensely disturbing to me, but it is crystal clear that it is necessary, at the same time. Dayna is good at her day job. She has managed to manipulate and defraud families for a decade or more. You can view the collected data here……………..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/414499508667539/?fref=ts

It has been brought to my attention that although Rethinking Everything Conference refunds were offered a few weeks ago, that agreement has now been withdrawn and registration is now completely non refundable, even for those that were affected by the deceit. There are differing reasons why people are choosing to request refunds, but they almost all boil down to the fact that the product is not what they originally paid for. I would like to request that those of you who find yourself in this position, file a complaint with your credit card company and send them any factual information you have.

The following posts have been made by members of the Martin family the last few days………….

When Dayna was asked why she could not just be honest and stop deleting messages, Dayna responded with this statement, before going on to talk about her personal feelings in the same group….…..

“This group is about the RE conference and as I told you, if you want to discuss my personal life further, you can continue to message me like you have. This is crossing in to harassment at this point.”

From Joe Martin:

ok this is gone on long enough. All you mean ass bullying ass woman, mothers, leave my fuckin wife and family alone. You call yourselves advocates for family. Your all evil and cold. Nothing more. (make sure you screen capture that)
My response:

I agree that the lies have gone on long enough. I would like to put this behind me, but the manipulation of the public and the fraud that we are uncovering honestly seems never ending. I know that you may see this as some “witch hunt”, but we are actually BEING advocates for families. We are all working on this to protect these very families from the assault that Dayna has dished out for years. Evil and cold are the last thing that we are. We truly care about our children. We do not wish for them to be used as pawns in your chess game any longer.

From Dayna Martin (posted in the RE conference group):

“There are no "sides" to take with this issue. It has gone from my personal Facebook account being exploited and used to send my personal messages to others. I have been threatened with messages such as, "Ha ha! you're goin' down, Sweetheart."

I have been bullied, lied about slandered and hurt beyond anything I have ever experienced before. CPS showed up on our doorstep yesterday because of this issue. They are returning this Friday. This is my worst nightmare and it is all because of this insane blog. I would never, ever, in a billion years do the extreme things that I am being accused of. HOW can I fight this except to reach out and ask you all for help.

I've made some mistakes, but NO ONE deserves this and to view it as the writings from a sane person is mindblowing to me. It is so incredible people are standing by watching this happen.

I have anxiety attacks and nightmares from this bullying. I can't sleep. I can't eat. This is WRONG.

I have screenshots of Patti's daughter Sydney, messaging my daughter Tiffany telling her that Jen Green has gone over their house and screamed and sworn at her telling her to write negative accusations about me and this little girl is scared. It is beyond abuse and manipulation.

I am scared that I will lose my children. Please help us in any way that you can. I am reaching out to you as a community.

There is SO much to share about what really happened in Texas. I have respected everyone involved, but there comes a point when you can't take the abuse anymore and one needs to stand up for themselves. I am scared to come out there. I am afraid of the mental instability of those out there doing this to me. Calling CPS on us was just beyond slandering and bullying. HOW can anyone be so cruel as to do that to us?!!”

My responses:

·         I would love to believe there are no sides, but I think it is now too late for that. You singlehandedly placed a rift in the unschooling world when you appeared on the scene as an expert in 2006. I do wholeheartedly believe, though, that unschooling will recover and now the community will reemerge as a whole unit once this is over.

·         This message that you refer to as a threat is no such thing. That is someone sharing their disgust with you. That does not equal someone placing you or your family in physical danger. Are you saying this is the type of message you refer to as “threatening messages placing you in danger”?

·         You continue to use these words bullying and slandering. I have not seen one ounce of that in my blogs, anyone else’s blogs, or the clearinghouse group. I have not contacted you in any form, at all. I have written my own experience and responded to your claims posted in facebook and your blog. I have asked no one to come after you. I have not contacted authorities of any kind. Also, you do not seem to be doing your own research, AT ALL. Slandering involves lies. I have not lied about one thing, whether you are in the mood to admit it or not.

·         CPS showed up at your door? Many thoughts have run through my mind since I read that. My first thought was, did they really and how can this be proven? I simply do not believe you. Were you the only one home? Was Joe present? The kids? Can you help us to understand how terrifying that was and what they ended up saying when they left? Do you have documentation?

·         I can’t say I am surprised that you would blame my blog for the CPS visit and not your own actions over the years, but really? Have you seen the clearinghouse? Have you seen the documented evidence of your own wrongdoing that goes back over a decade? It was not me and there are plenty of other people who are pissed that you got away with this for so long. My blog gave others the ability to come together over common traumatic events and those events all involve you.

·         I have racked my brain to figure out why the CPS story would appear now. I am wondering if this is a way to get out of going through with RE, maybe? Are you waiting until the last minute to cancel and then run off with the money? Could it simply be a way to elicit more support for your “poor me” cause? I really don’t know. I hope it is not true because I don’t actually hate you enough to wish that on your children.

·         You say you would never do these things you are being accused of. So, why are you not telling your side of the story out in the open? You are treating everything the same you did a few months back. You do not want to speak to more than one person at a time, so you ask for people to send you private messages to spread your lies in the safe confines of your lie bubble. I agree the things I have said are pretty damn awful and I should know because I lived them. So, your side please?

·         You bash people for believing my own insane writings, but what about the dozens of people that have come forward to tell their own stories. You cannot say that I am doing this to you, dear. You are doing this to you. I thought you believed in the LOA. How is that working for you now?

·         Time to pay attention folks! She has now taken her problems that she created and has made it your responsibility to fix it. She is no longer just a simple manipulator. She is now asking for you to join a manipulator community so you will be responsible for the outcome and not her. These sentences stand out to me…..” It is so incredible people are standing by watching this happen” and “Please help us in any way that you can. I am reaching out to you as a community.” Help her if you feel so inclined, but educate yourself on what is really happening before you do.

·         I have no human words to express the motherfucking lie you are attempting to convey about the screenshots you claim to have of Sydni and Tiffany. I will allow Patti to respond to this and will only add…..where are the screen shots? Who is dragging the kids in to this exactly? Are you getting so desperate that you will now begin using photoshop to produce them? If you do, then find a way to timestamp it so it reflects when these Sydni and Tiffany conversations happened.

·         Why are you scared to come out here? Is this another way for you to get out of coming to RE? I have not threatened you once. I have not sent anyone to threaten you once. I am not a violent person and I am so uninterested in ever seeing you again that my family and I won’t even be in town while you are. I promise you, I will not harm anyone in your family, but you also have made a commitment to make this conference happen, so you probably should keep that promise. Keep your promise, even if you look like an ass doing it.

·         Did you really just call me mentally unstable? The one who attempted to get you help? You are a sorry excuse for a human being. That is just all there is to that statement.

The following is an email that Dayna wrote to respond to a question that asked why she took kids in to a bar……………………

I never brought a child into a bar. Ever. There may have been children of the parents that I was with who came to check in with their parents/caregivers at certain times, but it was a family event! There were kids and parents together everywhere. Also, they knew that I was under the influence. It was the responsibility of the parents to care for the children whom they brought. It would be irresponsible for them to leave me with any kids to care for on my time off, knowing I had been drinking. If a child followed me in there without me knowing, it surly wasn't my fault or responsibility. I don't remember that being the case though. There were beer tents and they were everywhere It wasn't my responsibility Period*I admit, I was very drunk It was hot out and everyone started drinking early Any other questions? It was irresponsible for them to put kids in my care, knowing I was drunk. I am sick of the blame being passed onto me. I am owning my mistakes. This was not one of them.

My response:

I think this topic may need to be covered again. This is Texas and it is not illegal to take kids in to a bar or a liquor store. The problem is not that you took them in to a bar. The problem is that you USED them to go to the bar.

The bar that we are referring to could hold about 50 people, so there was the actual bar area and then there were tables. The kids said, “we wanna go to the trampoline”. I said “we are walking that way and will get there in just a bit”. Dayna said, “hey, I can take them because I know that they are wanting to spend time with me and I can jump with them”. We said, “ok, cool, we will meet you there”. It took us about 45 minutes to mosey there. I expected them to be done and waiting, but they had just gotten into the line. I said, “wow, why are you just now in line?” and left it at that when I just got stares. It was after Dayna was gone that Sydni and Alannah told Patti, “hey, btw it was really weird having to sit in that bar with Dayna while she got drinks”. Then it all made sense. This is why it took so long for them to get to the trampoline and why they were barely in line. She made herself responsible by offering to take them. The kids said they even asked her to not go in the bar, but she said it was ok and had them sit at a table and watch her have 2 double vodkas. The kids just wanted to spend time with her. The time she had promised for days on end.

Patti Stephens has contacted me to let me know that they are having an extremely rough day today. The fact that Dayna has now involved Sydni (10yo) in another lie is really taking its toll on their sanity and peace. They are working to provide a response to Dayna’s claims and I will post it on my blog and in the clearinghouse when it is completed and sent to me…….

28 comments:

  1. Enough already. I'd say, by post #10, you've got to question who's being the bigger person here. Let the damn woman figure her shit out and just stop with the middle school ramblings. Don't you have better things to do? It's time to let it go so you can finally heal yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you have better things to do, too? Obviously if you have time to participate in this ordeal by reading about it, then Jen has time to straighten out this situation hype writing about it. Don't like it? Don't waste your time by reading it.

      Delete
    2. People who accept money *based* on the image they paint of themselves need held to higher standards than regular folks. If questions are raised they need to respond with honesty and greater transparency. If they refuse, and people stop bringing up new discrepancies, they're the only ones who benefit.

      Delete
    3. MissHetz, why do YOU condone unethical behavior? that's really the question. And unless you are on the receiving end of Dayna and Joe Martin's attacks on your character, then please don't tell someone WHO IS STANDING UP FOR HERSELF to back down and "take the higher road."

      Write to Dayna Martin and tell her to "take the higher road" and stop lying in emails( while acting innocent in public ) stealing from others, and defrauding the entire Unschooling community.

      Delete
  2. I really hope no one falls for this latest stunt of hers. Am I really supposed to believe that an unschooler family called CPS on ( sadly ) THE most public of Unschooling? Yes, because that's what we ALL unschoolers want, the attention of CPS on Unschooling. Sorry, not buying it. The manipulation is soooo transparent I can't imagine anyone believing her.

    And I am sorry, but if she was REALLY been bullied.. and especially in THIS day and age, all she has to do is call the authorities. The thing is, there is no bullying... there is just a lot of truth coming out that she doesn't want exposed. There is no slander ( aside from the one SHE is spreading about Sandra, Jennifer and others), there is no bullying and there is no CPS showing up at her door because of Jennifer's blog. Nice try Dayna. Next.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just still pissed about all our wasted money. what a scam. and people complaining for Jen to stop posting truths about Dayna, get a fucking grip. This shit needed to come out, don't support a lying, cheating, conniving scam artist. people who are pissed about all this must have something to hide themselves. CPS my ass. just another ploy for sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!! Don't fall for it people! This is what she does to get sympathy and fool people into feeling sorry for her, rather than let them actually think about all the crap she has been pulling for years.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps Dayna has inspired some people over the years, but also her actions and ideas have hurt families and children. How can any unschooler be OK with that? Unschooling is not "The Dayna Martin Show" and I am glad that so many are speaking out. She should be out of the public eye tending to her own family and leave the rest of us in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this blog and now the clearing house with interest. Honestly, I think she's just likely a sad person with some mental issues. I know that many are very angry (with good reason) and think she's 100% aware and doing these things with premeditation or out of meanness, but I think she's just not mentally healthy and not getting the support and healing she needs. It doesn't let her off the hook.

    I will be honest, I don't get the point of the clearinghouse. Why is this much energy being put into dates and proof and a timeline? To what end? No one has to appear in front of a grand jury! It's all been spelled out pretty clearly, those who know who she is know who she is, those who don't want to see or believe don't want to see or believe. I am continuing to read to see if there is new information, but at this point it's just rehashing the same stuff over and over and over. And seeing that it's a temporary page, it won't even be available as a warning for ppl new to the Martin world, so what IS the point?

    I am scared about the abuse allegations (Joe abusing Dayna). I have a weird feeling about him. He strikes me as aggressive, she strikes me as unstable and together I don't feel like a domestic abuse situation is too hard to believe. Although, I do understand with her history of lying it IS hard to believe.

    I was going to go to her gathering in Cleveland NY and bring my non-unschooling sister. Shortly before the gathering I just got a weird feeling, it may sound uptight of me but she posted a picture of her and Joe with his hand up her skirt and it just squicked me out and felt inappropriate. (It sounds more salacious than it actually was, but it still pinged my radar.) There was other stuff and I just felt like I would be sorry if I dragged my sister to that gathering and I skipped it. Then, all this stuff came up and I felt vindicated for listening to my gut.

    This is off topic, but are there good, active unschooling groups on facebook that the martins aren't a part of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RE: fb groups.

      Sandra Dodd's Radical Unschooling Info group is an active unschooling grouop on fb with a variety of folks answering questions however Sandra does have a clear set of guidelines for the group which some folks misinterpret or don't resonate with. Personally and professionally, I have come to really appreciate Sandra's clarity of thought and after meeting her in person at a conference several years ago am totally impressed with her clarity of thinking, kindness with children, and integrity overall.

      If you want a group that's less rigorous (I don't know how to say that better but it isn't quite right and I don't mean offense to either group), Marji Zintz admins a group on fb called Radical Unschooling Support Community. There are other admins I just don't know their names.

      Delete
  7. You just proved the need for & purpose of the clearing house! It's to help people decide if they want to use Dayna's services/ advice after once they become aware of her pattern of fraud and unscrupulous behavior. You trusted your gut about her, and then you found proof (through the clearinghouse) that you were correct. Don't you think others have the right to know the facts about Dayna before getting involved with her? Also, I believe the info will be preserved and shared in some way after the facebook page ends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Sandra is preserving the info (that seems to be credible or has some sort of proof of being true) on her website.

    I just saw a post from her that people have sent her similar info over the years and she just filed it away, but now because so much more is coming out, she wants to put it up so people can decide for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It also (the clearinghouse) comes down to Dayna having taking without permission other peoples' words (sandra's and others) and claiming them as her own. I am so disappointed that the skivvy vibe I got was correct ... I am glad however that I listened to it and didn't decide to go to the conference as I had originally planned! There was just too much rah rah stuff surrounding the Life rocks thing... seemed so self promoting. I will say this... I have been unschooling for 15 years, two have gone on to college, one graduated and recently married , still have two at home. I do not consider myself an expert though I have given FREELY advice to those that have asked, I have spoken at conferences and mentored lots of families (all for free) but I am NOT an expert!!! I am always learning... I think that's the vibe that bothered me was that someone with such young children was claiming expert status ! How can you claim your endeavor a success when your kids haven't reached their goals (college, work, life goals etc?) That if nothing else gave me the geebies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If anyone didn't want all of this to be true, its me. I'll admit that unfortunately I worshipped the woman. I was DEVASTATED when I read the first blog and wanted to explain it away, but the stories kept coming and NONE of the other people I respected in the US community doubted what was written. That's what people need to remember. Alone, yes, this blog could be seen as the ramblings of one woman trying to discredit someone. Jen is NOT alone, people just keep coming with the same experience. ALL OF IT MATTERS because she sells herself as an unschooling guru, takes peoples money and is NOTHING like what she portrays. The fact that she disappointed children and left families in a worse state than when she arrived, really upset me. Because I myself was saving up to ask for her help. If Jen had written a vague warning, I would have brushed it off (like I had in the past with other people's warnings). Its the details that make this hard to ignore. I feel liberated, that I can finally trust my own intuition and I have the ability to deal with my own family without help. I feel very sad that this had to be at the Martin's "expense", but you reap what you sow. I do feel bad that they are a family in crisis. But its not Jen's fault. We live in a society where you get more shit for whistleblowing than you do from committing a crime. That's FUCKED UP. It would be understandable to just leave the information at that and leave the family to heal and move on, but their actions warrant further replies. If one was really at rock bottom, barely able to function, should they still be planning on speaking at a conference for people looking for inspiration or advice? If it were me, I'd say I was sorry, that I could no longer attend the conference and offer refunds. Not claim to be in total disarray but still plan on making money from your own awesomeness. When this first happened I searched the reply blogs for some glimmer of hope that some of it was either not true, or Dayna was owning it and getting help. I did not get it. All that she wrote was that it wasn't all true or all false but didn't say what parts. Did something happen on a Wednesday instead of a Thursday? Or is the whole thing fabricated in your eyes? If it were me, I would have specified where things were completely false. To write blogs saying she made mistakes and this is like having your worst drunken mistake publicised, but then turn around and say "I would never, ever, in a billion years do the extreme things that I am being accused of" makes no sense. At first she acted like she acknowledged the truth of parts of this story, now its an insane blog? What upset me also was that she never apologised to the un nanny Mom or her family. Oh, roundabout things like she was sorry she couldn't live up to their expectations of her at that time, but never I AM SORRY. Even if this was all a drunken mistake, or happened because she was sick, or whatever else she says, she should still be sorry to that family. To come on here and say Jen just needs to stop blogging, well, maybe they need to stop giving her stuff to blog about! She was accused of screaming at a 10 year old, if you read that blog. I'd be pissed off too! This can go away. I think its time for Dayna to step back, and just be Dayna for a while. No conferences, no blogs, no facebook, just a Mom healing her family. Bring it back to real. Stop taking people's money and refusing to give it back when they realise what they have bought into. Yes, this means less money, but EVERYONE knows that if you don't do your job well, you get fired. That's life. The whole unschooling world has been hit hard by this. Right now I have taken myself off facebook to focus on my own family. To see that I am a goddam awesome mother and to stop striving to be Dayna. Because, fuck, even Dayna wasn't Dayna. I hope for healing and peace for everyone involved, and I thank Jen for doing the unpopular thing for the sake of others

    ReplyDelete
  11. "We live in a society where you get more shit for whistleblowing than you do from committing a crime. That's FUCKED UP."

    SO true!! and your right, Dayna isn't even Dayna. She's created a false image that no one can measure up to and still she is desperately clinging to it to keep her fame. The Martins have made this an ugly mess by mudslinging instead of owning up and stepping back. What a shame that they have so little honor and integrity when so many people(including their own children) are watching. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Dayna insists on the Dayna Distortion field continuing. Well then as someone said above, she reaps what she sows. I'm one of those that asked for my money back. So far I've received no reply. I don't really expect one, I'll just let my credit card company do the talking. But whatever the outcome of the dispute, I am not sending another dime to the Martins. I was so taken in by them. I didn't want to believe any of it. But there is now an avalanche of evidence. And it isn't just one group of folks, it's several. I know that Joe would like me to stick my head in the sand and pretend it is all lies. Fuck that. I like to live in the real world. Not some fairyland that doesn't exist. I just wish they would face the truth, disappear from the limelight and get their shit together. But first it takes Dayna really admitting the truth. Not the "woe is me, feel sorry for me, oh don't bully me I might kill myself!" She has cried wolf so many times the fucking wolf has eaten her and puked her up a few times by now. Dayna - step the fuck down and give it up! You are done! You have to see this by now! And Joe stop pretending she is fine. She's not, she's sick, she needs help, and if you loved her at all you'd get her the fuck out of the limelight and help her. But to be clear this is not all about Dayna. What gets lost in all of her ramblings about herself is her victims, of which there are many. It's too late to try to lie to cover up another lie. It's all out in the open. The victims are real people with real feelings going through real shit because of you Dayna! And none of this can be considered slander as it's backed up by sources and facts now. I'm not writing anything that hasn't already been proven at this point. Also, everything I write is my opinion, just to be clear! Oh and I've stopped letting folks around me determine what I think, I actually think for myself thank you very much. That happened the moment I stopped believing anything that the Martins said. I actually use critical thinking. One last thing: The using of kids as pawns is pathetic and cowardly Dayna, stop, just fucking stop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was afraid of calling myself an unschooler before. I'll NEVER call myself an unschooler now. This is what happens when there are no checks and balances and when people have a cult like, "tell me what to do" mentality. People are so ready to just sit and listen at the expert's feet without any critical thinking done. Anyone who was ever sucked in to the Martin's world has limited critical thinking skills, IMO, but anyone who is following this situation with the Greens and the Clearinghouse should be able to see clearly that this is cyber stalking and bullying along the lines of Mean Girls only exponentially magnified and couched in high and mighty, self righteous terms. And when this is over, Sandra Dodd can resume her reign with her BFF unschool bloggie/experts who've done more to discredit the idea of gentle and natural learning in this one situation than the Martins have ever done.

    This is why I will go by the terms "relaxed" or "eclectic" because not having "rules" seems to mean that when something seems right to you (cyberstalking, gossip, accusing people of mental illness when you have no expertise in this area, saying what you want, pinpointing someone's every flaw, name calling, witch hunting (and you are witch hunting), and numerous other gasp-worthy happenings) you just go and do it without any rules of conduct or call to higher conduct.

    Dayna is so obviously the kind of person who was SEARCHING for a mentor. She would have loved Sandra Dodd, Joyce F, Pam S, Pam L, Pat F to have taken her under their wings, even if just through email. And a truly loving, supportive, natural learning environment would have necessitated a personal intervention with loving support. But nope, that wasn't what was done. Instead, Dayna's former friends and colleagues appear to have turned on her, reporting back to the queen bees all of her mistakes, and quite literally projecting them publicly for all the world to see. Sandra Dodd said quite clearly that she (without personally knowing Dayna) knew something was off and was just waiting for evidence against her. And finally, she has what she needs to discredit her. Alright, fair enough, but this is how I feel about Sandra now. I don't KNOW Sandra, but I had a warning bell, and now this situation has shown that my instinct was correct and you should be very careful about online interactions, because if you overstep your bounds, you WILL BE CALLED OUT thoroughly, publicly, viciously, and without thought or care to someone's emotional health or well being. You will be virtually tarred, feathered, dunked in the tank, rode out on a rail, and put in stocks with a sign around your neck that says, "FRAUD. SHYSTER. LOSER. SOCIOPATH. ADDICT. ABUSER." Judge. Jury. Executioner. My, what an example of kindness we have shown to our children.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ==this is cyber stalking and bullying along the lines of Mean Girls only exponentially magnified and couched in high and mighty, self righteous terms.==

      Yes. Absolutely. I have absolutely no opinion of Dayna and Joe - I had never even heard of them before this whole witch hunt started. I have had limited dealing with Sandra Dodd before, but decided I had little respect for her when she told me that I "wasn't a good unschooler" because I allowed my children to choose to take classes through the public schools.

      And now, with this witch hunt going on, I have decided that I want nothing to do with unschooling. I have always been uncomfortable with the term, but secretly supported and believed in the ideas and concept of unschooling. Truthfully, what we are doing with our children is unschooling, although I don't call it that - specifically because I want nothing to do with such a bitter, close-minded, controlling group of people.

      I think everybody involved with this witch hunt needs to take a step back and consider what it is that you are preaching. Your actions are going against the very words you preach.

      Delete
    2. And I have no idea why that came through as "unknown." I am Nancy Sathre-Vogel from Family on Bikes.

      Delete
  14. Message continued part 2:
    The profanity and obscenities, the name calling, the gaslighting: I'm appalled, but not surprised. My feeling the very first time I read Sandra Dodd's online interactions was a very strong "stay away, this person is potentially unsafe" feeling. Also, when I read years ago about the Martins allowing their son to spend hours bonfire making on his own, I had a similar warning bell ring.

    I see a lot of people who lack any sort of inner compass or any inner drive to develop an inner compass for raising their own children. No analysis. No critical thinking.

    If I were to declare myself an expert, full of life experience and dish out advice it would be this: Look at the people around you, in your natural community, in your family, at your place of worship/reverence, in your circles. Find the ones who have had results (a life well lived, children who love them and love each other) and if you need some help, go to them. Go to people you ALREADY KNOW and TRUST. My gosh, this is your life and children we are talking about, why would you trust someone you don't know in real life and have observed in many situations? Stop trying to sign up for cult like groups who insist on group think or a special permitted lexicon (don't capitalize unschooler, don't us the term RU use radical unschooling, etc). Avoid people who send off warning bells in your head. Be in contact with people who are cheerful, who like questions, who have a life beyond having hours a day of nothing to do but capture screenshots and kluck on facebook, do real work honestly, and realize that you have so much to learn and a rather short time to learn it. And above all go make memories with your children and spouse. And don't worry so much about mistakes, worry more about relationships.

    And stop using the f word so much because it just makes you look trashy and ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Part three, continued:
    I really liked John Holt and Growing Without Schooling. I really wanted a community. But unfortunately, I'm afraid it is not for me. I think I'll hang out with some of the gentle parenting people I know in the Charlotte Mason world or just people who show up to be my friend in real life. Life lesson #4,576 learned. :)

    And as for the ones who are doing this, who maybe didn't think it through before they did it. I think you can still redeem yourselves. I really do. Apologies go a long way. Meeting someone IN PERSON is a great thing to do. Whether you like it or admit it, there are factions in unschooling and radical unschooling. And you would do well to admit this and patch it up and play nice. Sandra Dodd gives some great advice. But like a genius doctor who rather stinks at the bedside, a little humility and willingness to self reflect might be just the ticket to a kinder, gentler, more EFFECTIVE learning environment. What will Dayna learn from this? How would Dayna have learned better by using less shaming and punishment? I thought unschooling became radical unschooling when we applied it to ALL of life? I see a glaring inconsistency here. It might be reparable. But you have to want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. Great post. My daughter and I were close to becoming unschoolers, but no way now. You hit the nail right on the head.

      Delete
    2. Holly, I have read all 3 of your posts and I am not sure what it is you are attempting to share? You do not like Sandra and you do not like Dayna, but I am supposed to apologize to Dayna? You also mention that I need to know her in person before I talk about her like this? Did you not read my blog? I think that there is no way to get any physically closer to her than I already have. So, I am to cease the discussion of Dayna because if I stop now, I may have the time to redeem myself? I do not care if you approve of how I am going about this. I am not here to convince anyone of anything. I am here to share my story for those who have an interest in getting to know who Dayna really is. She is breaking ethical laws and she is harming people in the meantime. This is not one person she has harmed. This has been going on for over a decade, so no, I will not stop just because you are uncomfortable. And you assume I didn't think it through? I believe I sat here and didn't say a word for 6 weeks. If it bothers you, please feel free to not read my blog. I hope you find what you are looking for with Charlotte Mason followers......

      Delete
  16. Holly and Danielle, you don't want to unschool why? Because hundreds of people are tired of being hurt, mislead and ripped off by the Martins? Reasonable people realize that exposing and trying to stop fraudulent behavior is a good thing. Try using those critical thinking skills to see that this controversy is about despicable behavior, not about unschooling. Unschooling is here to stay and it's a lovely way to live. If you don't want to unschool, it's your own family's decision and it's pretty silly to look for someone to blame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I gave you my reasons, it would hijack all of your lovely conversation here.

      Delete
  17. I think its great that people come on here and speak out against Jen's blogs because they feel they are morally wrong. Because we SHOULD speak out against, what we feel, is injustice. Which is all Jen and Patti are doing themselves!!! I personally don't think its immoral for them to warn people of potential heartache. I DO think its immoral to just assume people are stupid to be taken in by them and they deserve what they get, so they don't deserve to know who they are dealing with? I am responsible for my own hero worshipping of someone who seemingly had all the answers, yes absolutely. I had never encountered this kind of manipulation in my real life so had not seen it coming. Life lesson learnt, moving on. Do we need to sit back and allow it to continue to happen, to the detriment of other families who are not stupid, or lacking critical thinking skills, but struggling and desperate for some help from a shiny unschooling superstar? FUCK NO. Jen gave it time to rectify itself, to see some glimmer of hope that the destruction was to end. She didn't get it, and still hasn't. My heart aches for the Martin family. I do hope for this to end, for them to find peace. For everyone involved to be able to move on. From what it looks like, as long as there is injustice, these blogs will continue. We can harass Jen to stop blogging or we can hope that the injustice stops. Personally I'm hoping for the day the injustice, the lies, the manipulation stops. Stop trying to kick dirt over your mess, its done. Just stop shitting in your neighbours yard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. -=- Sandra Dodd said quite clearly that she (without personally knowing Dayna) knew something was off and was just waiting for evidence against her.-=-

    I did not say that. I have said that Dayna lied to and about me, in the first year she was around. I have sat on evidence of wrongdoing, hoping very much that she would get it together and be more honest, or get tired of it all and go away, or that she would blow up spectacularly on her own.

    People have sent me complaints and questions since 2006. Others have had problems with Dayna, but I am the only living person (John Holt being long gone) who was named when Dayna first showed up, as people she had "gone beyond."

    There are lots of sources of unschooling information. Dayna pretended there were two camps so that she could use me as a comparison, as a contrast to her supposed sweetness and superiority. Ignoring it didn't work for me very well, in the long run, did it? Because people believed her.

    My husband was a big guy, early. In third grade, 100 lbs and tallest in his class. He has told stories of new boys who would come to their school and pick a fight with Keith, through elementary and Jr. High, figuring if he beat this big boy, other boys would be impressed and intimidated. And if he lost, he would get sympathy.

    I believe that Dayna used me in that way. Her early page had my site listed, so she was clearly aware of my work, and pretty much delivered it in her own words without credit, adding on some Law of Atraction, and "revolution," and "cutting edge" and raw foods, after a while. But the worst thing is that she never really understood it, and is not, herself, from her own writings and other people's observations, a very good unschooler.

    I only met her once, but she wrote to me many times in those first few years, and many people reported to me their experiences and misgivings, from 2006 to the present.

    After Jen's blog, and others in the spring and early summer, it seemed a good time to gather it all for posterity. I have more evidence than others, and have been plagiarized more than others, and I don't mind being the clearinghouse person for it. It is NOT pleasant. It is NOT fun. I knew there were lies and misrepresentations, but there are about five times as many examples and stories as I expected. I thought it could all be gathered and summarized in a couple of weeks, but it's bigger than that.

    I'm very sorry that these blog posts are called "Watching the Unschooling Pieces Crumble," because it is NOT about unschooling. It's about someone running a con. Unschooling has been happening solidly and for a long time in thousands of families who have never read a word by Dayna Martin. Unschooling information has been available freely for over 20 years. Dayna's damage is a blip and unschooling has not crumbled.

    I know Dayna has lied about me all these years. It's what she does. Her lies don't change my children's lives. They don't make me the bad person she claims me to be.

    ReplyDelete